The parlor room becomes a bedroom.
< < < < < < > > > > > >
Our Victorian farmhouse had a parlor or what we would call a formal living room today. There were two doors on our front porch. One for receiving formal guests and one that would lead into what we call a family room today. In between these two rooms are two huge pocket doors that would be closed when company was being entertained.
Since we don’t need two living areas and would like to put our master bedroom on the main floor, we are converting the parlor into our master bedroom. What we think was the original master bedroom is very small, so we are converting that into our master bathroom and a closet.
Here is a picture of the parlor before we made any changes.
I took this picture standing in the original small master bedroom that will become the master bathroom.
Below is a view of the family room. The white door to the right is the door family would have used to enter the house from the front porch. The big opening to the right of the white door, is where our huge pocket doors are that lead to the parlor/master bedroom.
Both rooms have front doors. We have taken the front door off the parlor/m. bedroom and just left the one off the big wrap around porch (to the right of the bay window) that will become our living room.
Here is what the master bedroom looked like a few weeks ago. Notice the front door is gone.
You may be wondering why we are tearing out all the walls and eventually the floors too since they look pretty good in the first pictures above. The insulation is one reason. It has shifted down in the walls leaving pockets at the top in between the floors and near the roofline. Cracks in the walls were another reason. Most of the house didn’t have any damage during the move, but there were a few cracks in the walls, especially in the master bedroom. And even though we love the hardwood floors on the main floor, these will have to be replaced too because there was no subfloor put in under them. No wonder the house was so cold last year.
We got quotes to take the hardwood floors out and have them re-milled so we could put them back down, but it was just too expensive. We were so sad that we couldn’t repurpose the floors in the downstairs, but the ones upstairs will be sanded and re-stained.
In the picture above you can see where Bill has been working on replacing the hardwoods with sub- flooring so we can put new hardwoods down.
And as the walls were exposed, we got a good look at the hardware that the pocket doors ran on. The railing was made out of wood, not metal, and they had lasted over 100 years. Pretty amazing!
We had originally thought that we would get new wood pocket doors, but have found it quite difficult to get such large doors without waiting for months to have them custom made, so….. we have decided to sand and repaint them and see if they can last another 100 years!